DHI Hair Transplant (Direct Hair Implantation)
DHI method can be seen with different names such as Implanter Pen or CHOI hair transplant. It was first developed in Korea National University. As it can also be understood from its name, direct hair implantation consists of implanting the extracted grafts directly into the recipient area without pre-made incisions (canals). Even though some clinics show it as a different technique from FUE, it is not. Because FUE is an extraction method and it is also used in a DHI hair transplantation to extract the grafts. It only changes the way of implantation by using implanter/CHOI pens.
Candidates suitable for DHI technique for hair transplant
- DHI (direct hair implantation) technique by using CHOI pen for hair transplant is suitable for all cases. Also it is the best choice for people who suffers from diabetes or coagulopathy and not suitable for other hair transplant techniques.
- DHI (direct hair implantation) technique by using CHOI pen for hair transplant can deal with cases of insufficient hair content in the donor’s area, so this technique is the best choice for people who suffer from partial or complete hereditary alopecia.
- DHI (direct hair implantation) technique by using CHOI pen for hair transplant is the only suitable method for people who suffer from hair loss related to burn or cut wound.
- DHI (direct hair implantation) technique by using CHOI pen for hair transplant is the best choice for women as it doesn’t include hair shaving.
Hair transplants Facts
- If you are completely bald it is highly unlikely a hair transplant will be achievable
- If you are still losing your hair it is best to wait until the hair loss has stopped, or you will have to continue to have treatment as new bald patches appear
- The improvements look better on thick, curly hair rather than fine hair, although it is still possible with thin hair, but it might not look as good
- You may need multiple sessions over a couple of years
- Hair growth may be slow
- Hair may not be consistent with previous hair growth
- Hair transplant procedures
Preparation for DHI Hair Transplant
In a DHI hair transplant, individual grafts which collected from the nape by FUE method are extracted and placed onto the scalp. Thanks to Choi pens, the channel opening and hair transplant occur simultaneously. Thanks to the DHI pen, the scalp enters a rapid healing process.
The preparation stage for DHI method is the same as FUE hair transplant. After consultation between the doctor and the patient, hair analysis and planning take place. A blood test is necessary to determine if the patient is suitable for the operation. If the patient is in a good health condition, the operation can start. However, there are some points to consider before the procedure.
- Blood tests are necessary before the hair transplant.
- Before the DHI hair transplant, the patient should inform the centre of his medical record and medications.
- Regular meals are suitable before the operation. However, foods that may cause gastric problems should be avoided.
- Driving is dangerous for twelve hours after the transplant. For this reason, you should be careful to have someone with you.
DHI is a modified version of FUE hair implantation and follows a similar procedure. Your surgeon will remove hair follicles from a part of your scalp, usually the back of your head, and implant them into balding areas. These hair follicles will eventually grow new hairs.
Here’s what you can generally expect during the procedure:
- Your surgeon will shave your head and apply local anesthesia to numb it.
- The surgeon will extract hair follicles from the back of your head using a tool with a fine tip.
- The hair follicles will be loaded into a pen-shaped tool and implanted into the balding part of your scalp.
- The surgeon will apply an antibiotic cream and apply a bandage to all sites.
What To Expect During Recovery
- avoid any headgear that could irritate the region with new hair implants
- avoid drinking and smoking for at least a week
- avoid strenuous activity like weight lifting for at least four weeks
- avoid unnecessarily touching the scalp to give the small scars time to heal
- avoid using hair care products for at least a month