This technique, known as a new hair transplant technique, is performed using the naturally-occurring crystal sapphire stone. Sapphire FUE hair transplantation is the name of the technique used for opening the micro-channels.
The channels are opened with sapphire blades made of natural sapphire crystal. It is a method that does not harm skin tissue. In hair transplantation with sapphire, tissue damage is reduced, bleeding is less, and the recovery time is faster.
- When the channels are opened with sapphire, skin damage is reduced.
- The healing time is faster in the channels opened with sapphire because the skin is less damaged.
- Since the skin is less damaged in the channels opened with sapphire, bleeding is much less.
- With the sapphire technique, more channels can be opened. Thanks to this, hair transplantation results are more natural.
Are you a good candidate for Sapphire FUE Hair Transplant?
It is important to know beforehand if you are a suitable candidate for Sapphire FUE hair transplant; because, deciding to undergo a hair transplantation procedure does not automatically make you a candidate for the operation as there are several parameters. When you go for a consultation, your doctor will carry out the necessary evaluations and decide whether or not to go for a hair transplantation in your case, but if you wish to gain some insight before the Sapphire FUE consultation, you should consider the following factors:
- If your hair loss stems from conditions such as a trauma, androgynous type of hair loss or traction alopecia, then you can opt for Sapphire FUE transplant as a hair restoration method.
- As within any type of hair transplant technique, the density of your hair at the donor site is one of the most prominent determining factors regarding the Sapphire FUE. If you have sufficient number of hairs at the back your scalp, then you will be considered as a valid candidate for the operation.
- The severity of your condition is not regarded as a determinant. Whether you have relatively minor hair loss or shed a major amount of your hair, you are still able to undergo Sapphire FUE operation without complications.
The difference between Sapphire FUE and FUE
The main difference between the classical FUE technique and Sapphire FUE is the surgical instrument used for opening implantation channels at the recipient area. As part of the Sapphire FUE, steel material razors are replaced with blades made out of sapphire, that is a gemstone never losing its sharpness. Yes, it is an extremely valuable and expensive crystal, but its effectiveness on making incisions can never be ignored.
When compared to metal slits, sapphire tips are much sharper and stronger; as a result of these advantages, sapphire tips reduce the tissue damage to minimum. As opposed to U-shaped channels of metal slits, sapphire tips allow the surgeons to work with V-shaped canals, reducing the possibility of tissue damage on the skin even more.
Since the superior sharpness of the sapphire tips increases the number of grafts implanted, Sapphire FUE hair transplantation creates more of a denser and natural look. Moreover, being a substance found in nature, unique properties of the stone has a variety of anti-bacterial qualities which speed up the recovery period.
Hair transplants Facts
- If you are completely bald it is highly unlikely a hair transplant will be achievable
- If you are still losing your hair it is best to wait until the hair loss has stopped, or you will have to continue to have treatment as new bald patches appear
- The improvements look better on thick, curly hair rather than fine hair, although it is still possible with thin hair, but it might not look as good
- You may need multiple sessions over a couple of years
- Hair growth may be slow
- Hair may not be consistent with previous hair growth
- Hair transplant procedures
Here are some things you may need to do before getting a FUE hair transplant:
- Don’t smoke for at least a day before your surgery.
- Don’t drink alcohol for at least 3 days before your surgery.
- Don’t take aspirin or blood thinners for about 2 weeks before your surgery.
- Don’t take any vitamins or dietary supplements for 2 weeks before your surgery.
- Try to avoid taking antidepressants for about 2 weeks before surgery.
- Don’t get your hair cut before the surgery.
- Do a scalp massage 10 to 30 minutes every day for a few weeks to increase blood flow to your scalp.
- Take any medications, such as minoxidil (Rogaine), that your surgeon asks you to take.
- Have an electrocardiogram (ECG) and blood tests done before surgery.
How is Sapphire FUE hair transplantation performed?
Sapphire hair transplantation, which is one of the most popular hair transplantation methods recently, is an easy and practical method. Firstly, the number of grafts needed is determined. Afterwards, local anesthesia is administered to prevent any pain. Then, with the help of a sapphire-tipped tool, small channels are opened in the scalp. The tiny channels help in creating a more natural appearance. Hair is implanted individually to these channels opened in the scalp.
After the transplantation, the hair is expected to stay in the scalp. Since the application is made with a sapphire-tipped tool, this process will be easier. Because the small channels quickly close up, they allow the hair follicles to hold onto the skin more quickly.
Recovery from FUE is quick. You may have some swelling or discomfort for about 3 days.
Here are some aftercare instructions your doctor may give you:
- Don’t wash your hair or shower for at least 3 days.
- Use gentle, unscented shampoos for a few weeks once you start washing your hair.
- Take a couple of days off work to help speed up healing.
- Don’t comb or brush your new hair for at least 3 weeks.
- Don’t wear hats, beanies, or other clothing that goes over your head until your doctor says it’s OK.
- Don’t do any strenuous physical activity for at least a week.
Some hairs may fall out during the healing process. This is normal. You’ll probably start to notice a difference after 3 to 4 months.
Depending on the health of your transplanted hair, your hair may not grow back as thick as expected.